When an subject is controversial, one cannot hope to tell the truth. One can only show how one came to hold whatever opinion one does hold. One can only give one's audience the the chance of drawing their own conclusions as they observe the limitations, the predjudices, the idiosyncracies of the speaker.

- Virginia Woolf

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Opinion : Movie Reviews

Running List of Movie Reviews in no particular order (Probably some spoilers):


The DaVinci Code:
I admit that I went to see this so that I did not have to read the book that evertone was talking about. As a movie, it was enjoyable, the plot was good and it kept my attention. At the end however, I couldn't help wondering why Robert Langdon did not try to seed the next generation of Jesus' family line. 6 out of 10.

X3:
A worthy addition to the trilogy of X-men movies. While not as good as the first two, it was worth watching. The x-men movies are the best movie adaptations of marvel comic books. 6 out of 10.

Fun with Dick and Jane: Great comedy that makes fun of those caught up in corporate accounting scandals. Seems to be based on the Global Crossing melt down. The end is great, and this movie has the most comic attention to background details since Naked gun. I was laughing almost the whole time. 9 out of 10.

40 year old Virgin: This movie did not really live up to its hype. It had some funny scenes, but it was way to long and i did not think it was all that funny. Also it had scenes of drawn out tension between a love interest and the main actor, something which has no place in a slapstick comedy. 5 out of 10.

The Libertine: This movie is based on a great story and has a good premise (and gratuitous boobs), but I think it was poorly done. The plot seemed rushed and was not developed very well. I have no idea what happen in the scene when his friend gets killed or what happen when he gets the Pox. And there are 2 death bed scenes for the same character. Good acting though. 5 out of 10.

The Island: This was a great moviealthough it portrayed medical engineers as supervillins. It was well done and exciting and base on a great story (admittedly I have never read the book). One thing really annoyed me though: product placement. This movie hasd the most blatant placements of any movie I have ever seen. The presence of 2005 cars in particular ruined the whole futuristic theme in some scenes. It is sad because the futuristic effects were so well done in other ways. Scarlett Johansen is incredibly hot in this movie. 8 out of 10.

V for Vendetta: This was a lot better than I was expecting. It had a lot of angry political overtones (the US war stuff was really unnecessary) but it also had a lot of action and drama. The torturing of EV was a little weird, but otherwise the movie made pretty good sense. The whole premise is pretty far fetched though, and I must say that the only person I know who watched it and actually lived in a dictatorship strongly dislikes it. 8 out of 10.

Syrianna: I went into this movie expecting a preachy political satire, as well as a thiller. Sorry to say that I was dissipointed on both accounts. The politics were all over the place, mostly saying America was evil, and not passing any blame on Islam, which was warranted, especcially on the suicide bomber subplot. As far as drama, this is where the movie really failed. The movie basically took three great movie ideas, and compressed them in to one with poor writing. The Bob story of a hard working CIA op. left behind by the government for political reasons is a good story by itself when it is developed in detail (see The Recruit, and several other movies). The storyline with Brad Pitt overcoming the death of his child to spark a progressive government revolution in Saudi Arabia would also make a good movie. Even the tale of the suicide bomber could be a moving film if told with more depth and detail. Put together for no obvious reason other than that they occur in the same country = crap. And where does the title Syrianna come from? 2 out of 10

Crash: A good movie on an uncomfortable topic. I liked the way it tied the different people together and most of the sub stories had a happy ending. I also liked the way it contrasted relative success with how people are actually treated, with the black couple being wealthy and the Arabs being professional buisiness owners while the white people were working class guys. This shed some light on the root causes of racism, not just its effects. Anyway, I enjoyed it, although I was surprised when it won the Oscar for best picture the night after I saw it. 7.5 out of 10

Lord of War: One of the best movies I have seen in a while, It had action and violence, told a good story, and addressed several sensitive issues without preaching about politics. I also liked the ending. Many classic quotes. Helped that I watched it with a bunch of Russian immigrants that now live in Brighton Beach. 9 out of 10

The Constant Gardener: This movie was not good. It had a cheap artsy feel, and was way to preoccupied with politics. It told an interesting story about the diplomat unraveling the murder mystery, but the politics got in the way and it got too twisted. The Dafur violence scenes were unnecessary and the way they describe Pharmaceutical companies is ignorant and insulting. This movie is like Lord of War without the action, good quotes, good actors, and humor. 3 out of 10

A History of Violence: Good Movie, although it started a little slow. Great story and ending. But what happens after? 8 out of 10

Vanilla Sky: I like movies that are weird and convoluted, and this one sure fit the bill. I really liked it but the ending was a little odd. It was sort of like two separate movies, combining the Fight Club style unraveling-psycho-that-can't-distinguish-reality story with a Matrix like technology-has-gone-to-far-and wrecked-humans-because-we-can't-control-it lesson. It really might have been a better movie if they just left out the weird cryo-genic dream part and just ended it about 30 minutes earlier when he sees that he killed Sophia when he is in therapy. Also, why did tom Cruise's character have to face his fear of heights to conqueror the dream thing. Where is there anything else in that movie about facing fears? Anyway, it was exciting and Penelope Cruz gets naked so it gets a 8 out of 10.

Sideways: Very boring movie, I have to admit I didn't even finish it. It is basically about two middle age losers who have social problems so they go on a wine tour. If middle age men discussing their feelings is not your idea of excitement, stay away from this one. And it isn't even really a chick flick. The only people who could like this movie would have to be the middle aged, self criticizing, socially awkward, pathetic, snobs who can relate to the characters. Luckily this describes practically everyone in Hollywood and most movie critics, so this movie should be well received. 1 out of 10.

Stewie Griffin: the untold story: The Family Guy movie is funny, but not as funny as a bunch of Family guy episodes strung together. Instead of all the usual one liners in the series, the movie actually concentrated on telling a pretty detailed story. It was worth watching, just not the knockout that the show is. Also the Southpark movie was better. 6 out of 10

Hotel Rwanda : A very touching story, also good suspense. The political overtones were appropriate and it made me cry. I hope that I would have the courage to do what Paul did in that situation. 8 out of 10.

The Brother's Grimm: an odd movie, but entertaining. Kind of childish, and the beggining was strange, also, why did they not get married at the end if the kiss was in true love? 6 out of 10.

Serenity: First, I have to admit that I never saw the series. That said, this was a very good movie, good story and lots of action. I watched it with a few people who had seen the wwwhole series, and they all thought it was a good way to conclude things. I have now watched a few episodes, and I have to say that it is too bad they canceled this show. It is really a good combination of Western and Sci-fi generas. 8 out of 10.

28 Days later: As far as zombie movies go this one is pretty good. The premise is far fetched (no security at the lab, and how would this disease spread out of britian?) but it is a good story.
7 out of 10.

Sin City: This was an awsome movie. The black and white stuff was a very nice touch, and the violence fit well in the story. Also some good lines, and lots of good actors. Reminds me a little of pulp fiction. 9 out of 10.

Kill Bill 1 and 2: I love Quenton Tarrentino and when I saw the previews for this movie I immediately knew that I wanted to go see it. Kill Bill did not disapoint. It had scenes loosely based on other kung-fu movies as if it were a parody, yet it was not a commedy. That said, there were funny moments, great lines, gratouitous violence, and lots of action. I also liked the way it ended. 9 out of 10.

Pulp Fiction. When I was around 10 or so, I remember my parents ented this movie and watched it, but they would not let me watch. It was the only movie my parents ever felt was not appropriate for children, and I guess I can see why. Anyway I eventually got to see it, and I have got to say that it is my favorite film of all time. It amazes me that creative editing takes an otherwise short, storyless day and makes it a great movie. There are also more quotable lines in that movie then in any other. Wow. 11 out of 10.

Suicide club (Korean subbed): Definately the most disturbing movie I have ever seen. Whoever thought this up needs some psychological help. It actually kept me awake the night after I watched it. One scene that really stuck with me was the kids on the roof at the highschool. I could see that happening at my highschool for some reason. Anyway, the detective parts remind me of the original law and order series. I still don't completely understand what was going on here but it easily the scariest, gorriest movie I have ever seen.
8 out of 10.

The All time list:
  • Pulp Fiction
  • A Clockwork orange
  • Dr. Strangelove (best Satire)
  • Sin City and Kill Bill
  • The Lion King (best Disney movie, also best soundtrack)
  • The Last Samurai
  • Rain Man
  • Boondock Saints
  • Scarface
  • Naked Gun and Airplane movies (best comedies)
  • Gattacca
  • Planet of the apes
  • Matrix (first one) (best Sci-fi)
  • Terminator 2 (best Action)
  • Goldfinger (best Bond movie)
  • Suicide Club (best horror movie)
  • Lord of the Rings (best fantasy)


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home