When an subject is controversial, one cannot hope to tell the truth. One can only show how one came to hold whatever opinion one does hold. One can only give one's audience the the chance of drawing their own conclusions as they observe the limitations, the predjudices, the idiosyncracies of the speaker.

- Virginia Woolf

Sunday, June 05, 2005

Dateline June

I am going to leave for my job at Camp tommorrow and I can't wait. Actully, I am going to convoy up their with Bryan who hasn't started packing yet, so I will have to wait...
I have a terrible sunburn right now. I went out on the baot today with Bryan's family and It was a beautiful day so we hung out in Irondequiot Bay for awhile and I got burned. I had been helping them get the boat ready over the weekend and they launched it this morning in Charlotte and we drove to the bay. Also today I managed to mount my bike to the top of my car, hopefully it will stay there for at least a day...
If you need to use a bank, don't use Bank of America. They have the goofy computer problems and incompetent coustomer service. When it came to getting a credit card, first they only sent me the minicard and only after waiting over 2 months and complaining to a local branch manager did it come. I successfully used it, and tried to log on to the online account thing, but that was a disaster. It kept refusing my account number and rejecting me from the service. The toll free help number did the same, because apparently you need to put your account number into the phone thing before you can talk to a representitive. Again I had to go down to the bank and complain in person before a branch manager finally got my account to work (and blamed their ongoing mergers and the computers for my problems).
But it didn't end there. later that night, I was driving home and needed some gas so I pulled into dick's automotive on Titus ave. I swiped my debit card, but the gas didn't pump. I called the attendent over and he tried it with the same result, and told me to try the other pump. I tried it but it too didn't work, so I said the hell with it, went down the street to mobil(where the machine worked fine), and put $10 worth of gas into my car and drove off and didn't think anything of it. Now the next day I am buying a shirt at the mall, and they reject my card. now it takes them 10 mins to even find an associate who knows their vendor number, so I just paid with the credit card (which now works) and went home to call BOA. So after being on hold for about 15 mins, thelady tells me that the account is fine, there are no blocks on it, and neither her nor her supervisor could figure out why it didn't work at the store and blamed the store. I figured that there was nothing else to do about it so I just let it go and figured it was a random problem or something. I should have known better. About 2 hours later, I get a call from Via fraud prevention services telling me that they had blocked my card because the thought that my multiple transactions at the gas stations were signs of fraud. Now seriously, why the hell would $11 in gas trigger the Visa fraud protection...but that isn't what pissed me off the most. It turns out that BOA is supposed to always check with Visa when there is a problem with a credit card account at a store, and they never bothered in my case, even after I called and complained. Visa had locked my card down thinking it was stolen(although it obviously wasn't), and BOA chose to address the problem by ignoring it. Higher Standards my ass...
Speaking of higher standards, BU seems to have appointed a new president who was formerly the provost of MIT. He is a chemical engineer, and hopefully start by addressing one of the things that has always bothered me about BU, there is no chemical engineering program.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home