When an subject is controversial, one cannot hope to tell the truth. One can only show how one came to hold whatever opinion one does hold. One can only give one's audience the the chance of drawing their own conclusions as they observe the limitations, the predjudices, the idiosyncracies of the speaker.

- Virginia Woolf

Monday, March 31, 2008

Dateline 3/31/2008

The last few weeks have been a mixed bag. I have moved into a very nice new apartment and had an interview for medical school at SUNY downstate medical College. Unfortunately I've still not heard from the two schools that interviewed me previously, Drexel or PCOM. They have both sent me waitlist offers which I returned but this is simply going to keep my status up in the air and prolong things as to whether or not I'll be able to get into medical school. The PCOM waitlist was particularly surprising as I have significantly better stats than the average matriculating students at that college.

If the med school thing wasn't bad enough I also have had some recent financial problems, namely that everything is costing more than I budget for it. My former landlord, Empirian luxury towers, went back on their initial pledge that I could get out of my lease as long as I provided sufficient notice. When I went to sign out, they claimed that I still needed to buy out the rest of my lease. While it was only 15 or so days, that was $400 I could've used. During moving somehow my cell phone also broke forcing me to go to AT&T (or whatever the hell they're calling themselves this month) to get a new phone. I got the new generation of my old phone and it is pretty sweet, except that it costs $30 more than it said online at about $120 more than I wanted to pay for it. My printer seems to be broken as well, as it will now only feed paper on one side which basically crumples all the sheets instead of printing anything. Also, My girlfriend became intoxicated and tore the door handle off the passenger side of my car before the St. Patrick's Day parade. I've been putting off fixing the doors on my car, but it is unlikely I can do this much longer as it is now impossible to lock my vehicle and I have to get in by opening the back door and reaching in, which is very irritating. On top of other moving expenses, apparently PECCO needs a $200 deposit for gas service ( despite the fact that I've been a customer in good standing) and Comcast needed a $55 charge to move me down the street (and the best part of this had to be that the technicians stood there and watched me hook up my own Internet equipment).

Anyway I decided to take up a new hobby, growing plants. I went and bought a couple that were on sale at Home Depot and today I got some potting stuff so I guess I will be playing with that in the upcoming week. This is technically my spring break, although being on spring break does not actually change my daily schedule other than I don't have a seminar to go to this week. I still have to work at the office, do research in radiology, and tutor high school students. And thanks to the money issues I'll probably have to be doing more of each of those things. It is getting rather frustrating that no matter how hard I work and how much I plan, circumstances that I can't control leave me no idea where I am going in the future and no money.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home