When an subject is controversial, one cannot hope to tell the truth. One can only show how one came to hold whatever opinion one does hold. One can only give one's audience the the chance of drawing their own conclusions as they observe the limitations, the predjudices, the idiosyncracies of the speaker.

- Virginia Woolf

Saturday, February 09, 2008

Medical Admissions Purgatory

I have had some reservations about writing on this topic, but I have decided that the risks that the ADCOM will read and be offended by the following are outweighed by the benefits that getting this off my chest will have on my mental health.

In august, I did reams of paperwork and paid out almost $2000 to complete all of my medical school applications. And then I played the waiting game. It wasn't until November that many schools even confirmed that they had received my application. Drexel in particular never actually confirmed that they had received my application but did offer me an interview out of the blue. It turns out that they had not completed my application. At the interview, they told me they were waiting for a graduate recommendation letter, but that they would not hold this against me because 1. they forgot to put on their website that they need this and 2. I attend graduate school at Drexel. As it happens, the Drexel med professor who was assigned to write the letter never bothered for whatever reason (after I disclosed lots of personal info to him and gave him postage and printed labels. he does not respond to my emails or have a valid office number). Anyway after I told the story to the Dean in charge of my graduate division, he wrote the letter himself which officially completed the application and made me eligible for committee review.
According to Drexel's website, this committee review will take 6-8 weeks before a decision is made. 13 weeks later(Jan 31st) they changed my status online to "a decision has been made". Relieved, I checked my mail compulsively for the last week but no indication arrived. Concerned, I called the admissions office to ask if there was any way they could shed some light on the decision that holds my future in the balance. They told however, that they could not tell what the decision was (!?!) and had not even generated the mailing because of unknown administrative issues. Also they refused to speculate as to when those issues my be resolved (the office hopes it is within the next week).

Several other medical schools have rejected me or not informed me of my status, but I am particularly disappointed with Drexel Med. A quick survey of Student Doctor Net leads me to believe that my situation is in no way unique. In my opinion, Drexel Med has the most innovative programs (see PIL, IMS) the best use of technology, nicest facilities (at least at Queen Lane) and some of the best clinical practitioners in the country. It is too bad that these great assets are squandered by an admissions office that creates a bad first impression with many of its students. It particularly upsets me because I am employed as admissions counselor in another division of the Drexel Medical school and I understand what problems they are facing, as well as the simple solutions to these problems that they fail to implement.

As of now, I am left to wait as my fate rests in the hands of administrators who are barely competent to mail a letter. I have worked countless hours for the university, paid 1000's of dollars, and bested most of the actual students that they accepted last year in academics; Even if the decision is no, the least they owe me is an answer.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home