When an subject is controversial, one cannot hope to tell the truth. One can only show how one came to hold whatever opinion one does hold. One can only give one's audience the the chance of drawing their own conclusions as they observe the limitations, the predjudices, the idiosyncracies of the speaker.

- Virginia Woolf

Thursday, January 03, 2008

For the record: 2008 goals

That's part of my annual looking back and setting goals, I must say that 2007 was truly a banner year. I look at all the different areas of my life and I seem to have improved all of them, and a half to predict that many of them will probably go downhill in 2008. Briefly a list of achievements in 2007:

  • Entered into a significant long-term relationship with a woman I love.
  • Almost 30% yield on investments
  • got two new great jobs (admissions counselor and tutoring)
  • nearly doubled my income
  • got a sweet new single apartment in a beautiful residential neighborhood
  • acquired almost an entire set of furniture
  • significantly upgraded many of my things (new TV, camera, MP3 player etc)
  • achieved a 4.0 GPA
  • went many new places, and tried several new things.



As far as my goals that I did not achieve from the last year they include:

  • Publishing and other scientific article (this should occur in early spring)
  • building my running to at least 5 miles (this is one area where I completely failed)
  • doing 200 hours of community service (probably not even one... )
  • traveling outside of North America


All that said, here are my goals for 2008:

  • Get into an allopathic medical school
  • at least he 25% increase in income
  • match 30% return on investments I achieved last year
  • use the money to continue to upgrade material possessions
  • read the least 12 books with at least five on topics other than medicine
  • return to working out at least four times a week
  • move into an even better apartment
  • spend less money on non-durable goods
  • do some community service and try to get involved with a least one local organization.
  • Travel outside of North America (at least get a passport)
  • continue to achieve at least a 3.5 and get my MS degree


Last year wasn't pretty amazing year. I will be hard-pressed to make as much money as I did last year and it's hard to top finding the woman of your dreams or this particular apartment that I'm in. I do anticipate getting into medical school however, which will set me back in the short term but will clearly move my life ahead to achieving my long-term goals. It is quite possible that I will make no money and do almost nothing outside of school for the next four years but I'm having the time of my life now and over the next six months in order to make up for the fact that my life may fall into a holding pattern so that I can become a doctor.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home