When an subject is controversial, one cannot hope to tell the truth. One can only show how one came to hold whatever opinion one does hold. One can only give one's audience the the chance of drawing their own conclusions as they observe the limitations, the predjudices, the idiosyncracies of the speaker.

- Virginia Woolf

Saturday, February 09, 2008

Opinion : Auto Show 2008

I just went to the Philadelphia Auto show and I have some thoughts.

1. The most impressive thing was the new convention center, which I had never been in before. I was particularly impressed with the area above the market and the grand ballroom. That place is going to be really amazing when they finish all the new construction.

2. I was disappointed at the lack of historic and concept cars. the few that were there clearly attracted the biggest crowds. The only company that actually had a full historic display was Subaru. Maybe I am the only one, but I would have been more interested in American muscle cars, race cars or historic cars (like Packards, formerly made on the site that the convention center now stands) than compact, economic Japanese cars.

3. If GM's green movement isn't a joke, then the marketing of it certainly is. GM's green "concept" vehicles were standard GM vehicles with new paint jobs that you could not actually inspect up close. The hybrids they had were nothing special (no targeted vehicles like prius, nothing special in terms of specs or price). Lexus, on the other hand, had the hood open on their next-gen hybrid systems, as did Mercedes on an alternative fuel (biodiesel) car. More importantly, they had dealerships in Jersey taking orders on these vehicles. Note to GM: to make any money on these ideas, you actually need to sell the cars.

4. Speaking of American cars and marketing, Ford is going to pay me $75 to take a test drive of a truck and give them market research feedback. As part of this promo, they bragged about how regular people like us could give them better feedback than the market research types in NY. Note to Ford: Philadelphia is not a quaint slice of idealist rural America (where I assume the only people who still drive Fords live) and maybe if you hired those NY consultants, you wouldn't be getting crushed by the competition in every market segment. I will be happy to take your money though...

5. The best display went goes to VW. Not sure what is so special about "German Engineering" but the thing that made the toys out of plastic fascinated me, and the future booth thing fascinated my girlfriend.

6. If I were buying a car, I would probably buy an Infinity. They look really cool, and they are a good value. The Lexus Hybrid SUV comes in a close second and I liked the new Honda Civics and Accords. My girlfriend thought the best car was the new Pontiac G6, and I must say, Pontiac is probably my favorite American car brand.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home