When an subject is controversial, one cannot hope to tell the truth. One can only show how one came to hold whatever opinion one does hold. One can only give one's audience the the chance of drawing their own conclusions as they observe the limitations, the predjudices, the idiosyncracies of the speaker.

- Virginia Woolf

Thursday, February 24, 2005

dateline 2/24

This has been one of the longest days of my life. Firt thing this morning I had an exam in Control systems that turne out to be harder than I expected. Then I got to have lunch with Dean Eisenberg as part of one of these roundtable discussions where students can give the administration feeback. Most of the time was spent listening to this one annoying senior who had a narrow view of what he thought engineering should be, and insisted on having each one of his points addressed by the Dean. I did not get much out of this so after about an hour I skipped out and joined my writing class (already in progress).
At least it was a good day for getting things done. After class I finished up my physiology labs which have been taking forever and later at work I finished the first phase of my MCAT reviewing. I need to prepare for the entrance exam but I cant afford Kaplan, so I got someone to sell me the old books and I set up my own review course. The first phase was to read all the subject material cover to cover and write all the stuff I didnt know in a notebook that I will study later. I have been working on this daily since January, and I am happy that it has finished on time.
Also today I got my roomates settled for next year and turned in my housing slip. I am going to live in the same apt. (I love this place) and I get to pull 2 people in. I decided to pull in my freshman roomate Al and his friend Simon who I met today for the first time. Should be a good year.
I picked up an official transcript today as well as a guide to writing cover letters, so I can apply for some summer internships over the weekend. I cant believe you have to pay $5 or it. They literally just type your name into the computer, print it out on the deskjet in the back and slap it in a letter envelope and hand it to you. The official university seal is just a regular stamp that says REGISTAR on it. I also got a new mp3 player today to replace my CD player which has seen better days. Its a cheap Korean knockoff of the ipod shuffle. Another success in my Never-ending quest to aquire consumer electronics at unreasonably low prices.
On a more disturbing note I got a belated valentines day card from my mother. she even sent some money, although not nearly enough to cover the housing deposit due today(which my father mentioned last month he would try to pay for me). The problem was that my mother wrote on the card that she could not send more or send it earlier(for instance on V-day) because the dog needed it and went on to describe his cysts(sadly not joking here). Now there are 2 posabilities regarding my parents; either my mother has no taste (not really a surprise there) or they remembered the housing thing, decided not to pay it, and are now trying to cover it up. I sent a pretty sarcastic email just now, so I will probably know for sure tommorow.
I have 3 exams next week and a 4 page research paper due tuesday that I have not even started. add to that taxes, financial aid, job applications and test prep and you can see its going to be a wonderful weekend.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home