When an subject is controversial, one cannot hope to tell the truth. One can only show how one came to hold whatever opinion one does hold. One can only give one's audience the the chance of drawing their own conclusions as they observe the limitations, the predjudices, the idiosyncracies of the speaker.

- Virginia Woolf

Friday, February 11, 2005

Dateline 2/11

The first thing I did today was had my resume reviewed by a college sponsored job-finding professional. Turns out my first copy had about 50 errors (only a 1.5 page document mind you). Apparently using the MS office template is a fate worse than death. After a marathon editing session I made it to the summer internship job fair, which was crappy and under attended even by the career services office's standards. Their were few employers there that had anything remotely to do with my field, although I did find 2 good possibilities. One was a local healthcare consulting firm; the other was the federal government. This is the second time in 2 weeks i have run across a sweet summer job opportunity. Last week it was with the patent and trademark office, this time it is with the national park service. Now the good thing about doing a summer internship with the man is that unlike companies that promotes experience and connections, and use this as an excuse to pay you a $3000 stipend, the govt. just puts you on the payroll as an employee, so you can make nearly $12K as a park ranger or a patent clerk. I would be particularly suited to this as well because I do not need industry connections in engineering if I am going to medical school anyways, and in the park service case, they apparently supply housing.
This whole job search thing is not that big a deal to me, however because i already have a job that I have worked in over the past 2 summers. And this bring me to the other problem i had today because for some reason they still have not given me letter of recommendation that I can use for my med school application. Time is running out (due Feb. 21st) and they are impossible to get a hold of. I was told earlier in the week that they would get back to me by today, but they have not and i am getting annoyed. It’s a great cause and they run a good program, but they have no clue how to run a business, and I have come to expect some professionalism from people i deal with. I am sure I will be revisiting this later. Anyway, the Russians are coming over to hang around so I out until tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home